It looks like there could be a decision as early as this afternoon.
Various reports say Eric Musselman's second interview went well, and that the choice now is whether to pick him or let the process continue, assumedly waiting for a chance to interview Marc Iavaroni.
Phoenix could be done Saturday, and the series will definitely be over Monday night. If the Suns win the series, Iavaroni wouldn't be available for at least another week-and-a-half, which might be a little too late for the Kings' tastes.
So does Geoff Petrie and the Maloofs wait until Monday morning, in case Phoenix gets eliminated over the weekend? The Bee reports that Petrie is scheduled to leave town Sunday for the Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando. But the camp doesn't start until Tuesday, so I could see Petrie sticking around for a possible Monday interview with Iavaroni, making a decision with the Maloofs that night while sending the scouts ahead to Orlando, and making an announcement early Tuesday.
Or, the Kings could bring Iavaroni in for a Sunday interview (however cruel that may be) if the Suns get eliminated Saturday. Then, possible announcement either way on Monday. The Kings did interview John Whisenant on a weekend, and Iavaroni hasn't hid how much he wants a head coaching job.
I remain more excited about Iavaroni, who has a slightly lesser coaching pedigree than Musselman but some solid playing days and absolutely no previous attitude issues with players. (Iavaroni is also from New York.) With this squad, I'm going to pick the guy who has shown he can deal with NBA players personally over the guy with questionable people skills every day.
But seriously, a Musselman hire today would not disappoint. As I alluded to a few days ago, we've stared at the devil several times and lived to tell about it. I'm not going to split hairs over close-to-level candidates now.
(And I'm shocked that Whiz and Ives are tied in the poll. Shocked! Are you people trying to turn me into Bruce Banner?)