OKC and the WashWiz are currently using second string coaches. They are hunting for replacements (see Scott Howard-Coopers’ Bee article on which names are available). Will the Kings pull the trigger on Coach Theus so they can hire one of those names before the other two teams?
Reasons not to:
- The Kings, even with their injuries, are building momentum towards some cohesiveness as a team with strong fall-short performances against the Lakers and Blazers and a road win against New Orleans.
- With the new front office hire ready for official announcement, re-evaluation as to what they have might first cause them to move players before coaches or they may just stand pat for the next few months leading up to the February deadline or beyond
- It would reek of desperation and Geoff Petrie does not play his hand from desperation
- These same names were available over the summer and they weren’t signed then
- None of the names are re-building team coaches and this team will need more seasoning to become playoff caliber
Reasons to grab a name:
- The Kings should have their full line-up healthy enough to play within the next week (or so)
- With a new front office face, it is time to show the new direction
- The stands are not fiilled and this might make some feel a move would entice improved attendance
- Once one of those names is hired, itchiness to act in kind will strongly increase
- It would be a headline