(Sage advice from the FanPosts. - TZ)
Alright Reggie, listen up. You took a good first step in benching Mikki Moore. But based on your comments in the media, I'm pretty sure that decision came from above. You criticized the fans for wanting to bench Moore, and yet that's exactly what happened. Sounds like Petrie, Levien, or the Maloofs came down and told you what's what.
With that in mind, I'm going to tell you how to gameplan for tonight. You can implement my ideas, and then you can give an interview explaining why they are wrong and terrible. This is my gift to you.*
*Exhibit G takes no responsibility if this strategy fails completely.
- You're already committed to starting Hawes. Good. Now, make sure you don't pull him out as soon as he has 2 fouls. If he picks up two quick fouls, leave him in. See if he can play when he's in foul trouble. You must show Spencer that he will start, and that he will control his own fate in terms of playing time.
- Miller's minutes shall not exceed the minutes of Hawes and Thompson. I'm not talking Hawes and Thompson combined. I'm talking individually.
- At no point should Brad Miller's defensive assignment be Carlos Boozer.
- Kevin Martin is playing. Hooray! Now listen closely. You need to limit his minutes, but you also need to make sure you're not sitting him for excessive lengths of time. Sprained ankles tend to stiffen up if you play and then sit for 10-15 minutes. And for the love of god, set up your rotation to where K-Mart will be available in the final 5 minutes in case the game is close and you need someone to take a final shot. At the same time, do not insert him into the game with 12 seconds left so that he can take the final shot.
- At no point should Kevin Martin's defensive assignment be Deron Williams. I know it might seem like a natural fit since they've both had ankle issues, but no. Don't even think about it.
- Throw some Sheldon Williams in the mix. You can play Mikki more minutes than Sheldon, but get him in there. Utah's got ridiculous depth, so you'll need to throw some different looks at them and keep our guys fresh.
- Tell Beno that his entire job tonight is to be aggressive. Yes, turnovers suck ass. Yes, he's been prone to them. But dribble-pentration followed by a kick-out to Martin is going to be beautiful. It means that K-Mart won't have to be running as much, and at the same time you can pad Beno's assist numbers.
- My final pointer is the most important. It is this: win in a blowout. It'll help morale, and it's make the rotation management less critical late in the game. If you follow none of my other advice, at least follow this piece. If you win games in a blowout, you win every time.