This is a commentary on Ricky Rubio and Ricky Rubio alone. This is not meant to belittle Blake Griffin or his abilities in any way. The following are the reasons why I am finally jumping onto the Ricky Rubio bandwagon.
1) We don’t need to think up of a nickname for him. He’s already known as "La Pistola" or "The Pistol" like a certain HOF-er we know. He looks like "The Pistol", answers to "The Pistol", and has a basketball IQ as high as "The Pistol" (supposedly). How can we lose with this kid?
2) He held his own against Team USA’s All Star point guards Jason Kidd, Chris Paul and Deron Williams. If he can stand toe-to-toe with them, it’s safe to say he can get it done against the 25 or so other point guards in the NBA.
3) Ricky Rubio has starred on the big stage. In 2006, when he was just 15 years old, he led Spain to the U16 Euro Gold medal with 51pts, 24rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals. He also logged 3 triple doubles and a quadruple double during the tournament. Which means we won’t get a normal rookie (rookie walls, jitters etc…) He’ll be like Luis Scola or Manu Ginobili, used to the pressure, wise to the game and a hell of a lot younger.
4) He has won everywhere. He has won championships in the Spanish League and in the EuroLeague as a vital cog of the team, not just a complimentary player. Which means his winning attitude can help influence our young (but definitely older than him) players as well.
5) He is known to be a good on-the-ball defender and led the Spanish League and EuroLeague in steals, (this, of course, addresses on of the most pressing needs of the Kings)
True, he needs to work on his shooting. But we’ve got shooters galore (Kmart. Garcia, Nocioni, Hawes) What we don’t have are passers to get the ball to those shooters.