Joventut’s president is really mad…
Here are some translated nuggets from this article
- We move ourselves by principles and an unbreakable youth development policy. We wouldn’t exist if we didn’t invest in player development and didn’t protect ourselves with this kind of clauses.
- We are not here to give free gifts, one thing is negotiation and another one is to give gifts.
- We are going to fight to defend our philosophy and protect our interests.
- Both sides were absolutely convinced and happy when the contract was signed.
- Now it seems that he signed the contract under a gun. But he didn’t come alone and lost here.
- We gave him the opportunity to become a professional player, to grow as a player, to be an Olympic medalist.
- The contract is what it was signed and we are going to defend that.
- We have tripled Ricky’s salary unilaterally without asking anything in return. He earns now more than 200,000 Euros
- I had three meetings with his parents after the Olympics. First, they told me that they would respect the contract entirely. They changed their opinion later and said that they would like to change the clause in 2010. Then, Dan Fegan came and told me that the decision was already taken to leave.
- They have the right to sue us but this is not ethical.
- This is morally wrong. They are just looking for their own interests.
- They don’t take into consideration what was signed.
- We offered him to reduce the clause in half to 3 million in 2010 but they don’t offer anything.
- I don’t know if it is ethically correct that a player who is suing us can continue playing with us. That’s sounds weird to me.
- Rudy Fernandez was intelligent. He chose to stay one year more with us and he helped us to win three tournaments. He matured as a player and now he has a bright future in the NBA.
- We offered the same thing to Rubio. We will lower your clause if you stay one year more but he doesn’t want to give anything in return.