I'm not confident about much when it comes to predicting player movement, but I feel strongly that Landry will be moved by the deadline. I also feel like he's the strongest trade asset we've had since Artest who brought us a couple nice pieces. I'll explain why after the jump, but the main purpose of this post is to see what readers of stronger mind than I believe is a realistic trade.Let me briefly argue my position regarding Landry attracting teams making a playoff or championship push who need a little more offense, and why the Kings are surely to take advantage.
Contenders want him because:
• He's a proven potent offensive asset
• He's willing to accept any role
• He has an impeccable clubhouse reputation
• His salary is a steal (and the expiring part isn't a deterrent if the need is immediate.)
Kings want to move him because:
• High trade value
• Risk of losing him for nothing (Either by his choice or by the Kings deciding not to compete with other teams' potentially grandiose offers.)
So if you're still on board with me at this point, who do you think are realistic trade partners and what might we get? I'm not very good at this stuff and am genuinely interested in other folk's thoughts. I see a few championship contenders who could benefit hugely from a major bench scorer at PF (and for whom his rebounding and defensive weaknesses wouldn't be too debilitating) like Dallas, Orlando, or San Antonio. There are also a few teams pushing to reach the playoffs like Houston, but I'm not sure they'd give up as much to take a short term lease.
Have at it. I love Landry, but am excited about what moving him could bring the team.