Tomorrow we'll get a look at what this new Kings franchise is all about during an actual regular season game.
Owner Vivek Ranadive has a reputation for wanting pretty grandiose things and it seems like some unique activities are in store for tomorrow's season opener against the Denver Nuggets.
Here is what we know so far.
- The parking lot opens for "FanFest" at 4 p.m. A cricket field will be set up on the southeast side of the parking lot (hello India). Around 5 p.m., Vivek Ranadive, Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Mullin and Roger Craig will be demonstrating the game of cricket.
- Ranadive and O'Neal will hold a press conference at 4 p.m. in the newly renovated media room.
- A "Purple Carpet" will be set up in the parking lot in front of the main security entrance. "VIPs" will enter the arena there from 4 to 6 p.m., including NBA Commissioner David Stern. Fans will be able to line up along the "Purple Carpet" area, but it is first come, first serve. So if you want to get a spot, you may want to show up around 4 p.m.
- During the first quarter, there will be a presentation from Mayor Kevin Johnson to David Stern.
- At halftime, Jay Sean will perform.
- Many buildings in downtown Sacramento will be lit up with purple lighting for opening night. Among those are the dome of the Capitol, Old City Hall, the Tower Bridge, the Convention Center, Memorial Auditorium, Embassy Suites and the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel. The Kings also have told the media to "look to the sky tomorrow night." A new KJ bat signal?
- The game will be shown live on News10 (commercial free) as well as all over India.
- There will be a viewing party in India (I've heard in Mumbai).
- Local food and beers will show up at various times on the concourse this season, beginning tomorrow. Kings president and chief operating officer Chris Granger teased the food aspect on Twitter today.
- The following local beers will be on tap on the concourse at various times throughout the season: Anchor Steam (San Francisco); Firestone (Pasa Robles); Black Diamond (Concord); Sierra Nevada (Chico); Rubicon (Sacramento); and American River (Rancho Cordova).
- There will be a larger video board up.
- Every person who has a seat gets a free T-shirt.
- Sign Lady WILL be in attendance.
So many reasons to be excited 4 tomorrow. My favorites: 1-First game of the new era of Sacramento Kings and 2-Sign Lady WILL be in her seat!— Niko Rust (@Kings_6thMan) October 29, 2013
- Hang out with other Kings fans and folks from Crown Downtown in Lot H starting at 4:30 p.m. There will be everything from airbrush face painters to live music to a Sign Lady Sign Making station.
- There will be a basketball game between the Sacramento Kings and Denver Nuggets.
These are just a few of the many things we'll likely see tomorrow. We will try to keep this list updated as new details emerge about the season opener.