Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports
Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson held a press conference today to update the status of Sacramento's bid to keep the Kings. While no whales were announced, KJ did unveil a plan to seek corporate sponsors to demonstrate Sacramento's support.
Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson held a press conference today. No announcement was made regarding the whales, but no announcement was expected today on that front. The press conference served to keep us informed as to the progress the city is making, and the steps they are taking to keep the Kings in Sacramento.
No big equity investors interested in #NBAKings revealed by mayor today. Mayor says he's working against March 1 deadline— Ryan Lillis (@Ryan_Lillis) February 12, 2013
KJ says the city is tipping off a corporate campaign to show local biz support for #SacKings.— Jonathan Santiago (@itsjonsantiago) February 12, 2013
Corp campaign is similar to 2011, when mayor and Chamber raised millions for #NBAKings to keep team from moving to Anaheim— Dale Kasler (@dakasler) February 12, 2013
KJ on putting together arena plan:"extremely confident" before or by March 1st relocation deadline— Jonathan Santiago (@itsjonsantiago) February 12, 2013
Mayor: 'Seattle people would like you to believe the deal is done and the deal is not done (to move #NBAKings)'— Ryan Lillis (@Ryan_Lillis) February 12, 2013
The big news out of all of this is that the city is once again turning to local sponsors to showcase the city's support for the franchise. This is similar to what the city did two years ago, when they were able to secure commitments for local sponsorships that had gone untapped by the Maloofs.
The news that Sacramento may pitch to the Board of Governors earlier than April's BOG meeting is also interesting. There had been discussion previously that the BOG could begin their review of a Sacramento buyer group prior to the BOG meeting, but this is the first I can recall hearing Sacramento may make an actual presentation before April 18th.
One other tweet worth noting:
Sacramento sources have come across as confident, but very busy as they prep their counter for the NBA. No worry detected.— Aaron Bruski (@aaronbruski) February 12, 2013