We've had a bit of dialogue about how crappy an expansion team can be. I remember the Bobcats coming into the league and seeing our team leave Gerald Wallace unprotected. He has gone on to have a solid professional career, and is really the best example of a team losing out on a good player. So since my finals are over, and I'm out of work, what better way to spend a morning than compiling a list of what a 2013/2014 expansion team MIGHT look like. If you don't know how expansion works here's the basic rundown, via the Bobcats website.
A. Player Selection
- The Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft will take place on June 22 (if the NBA Finals extend to seven games, it will be June 23), prior to the 2004 NBA Draft on June 24.
- The Bobcats will select a minimum of 14 players who are under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.
- The Bobcats may select no more than one player from each team.
- The Bobcats can only select players that are left unprotected by an NBA team.
- Each of the 29 NBA teams may protect a maximum of eight players on its roster who are under contract or are restricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season.
- Each of the 29 NBA teams will designate the players on its roster who are eligible for selection by the Bobcats.
- Each of the 29 NBA teams must designate at least one player on its roster to be eligible for selection by the Bobcats, even if the team does not have eight players under contract or as restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.
- Any player under contract selected by the Bobcats will immediately be placed on the Bobcats roster.
- Any eligible restricted free agent selected by the Bobcats shall immediately become an unrestricted free agent.
- Unrestricted free agents are not eligible to be protected nor are they eligible to be selected by the Bobcats.
B. Pre-Expansion Draft Trades
- Teams will be permitted to enter into pre-Expansion Draft trades involving players or draft picks in which Charlotte agrees to select or not select certain unprotected players in return.
C. Salary Cap
- Charlotte will be permitted to select players in the Expansion Draft without regard to the Salary Cap.
- Charlotte will have a Salary Cap in its first season equal to 66% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league and a Salary Cap in its second season equal to 75% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league.
- Charlotte will be permitted to sign any restricted free agent it selects in the Expansion Draft using the same "Bird," "Early Bird" or "Non-Bird" Exception that the player’s prior team would have had.
- Compensation paid to a selected player under a contract protected for lack of skill will be excluded from Charlotte’s Team Salary if the player’s contract is terminated (via the waiver procedure) prior to the start of the 2004-05 season.
- A team with a Team Salary above the Salary Cap will receive a Trade Exception to replace a player (other than a restricted free agent) selected from its unprotected list.
D. Post-Expansion Draft Transactions
- A team will not be permitted to reacquire a player that it loses in the Expansion Draft prior to the expiration of one year from the date of the Expansion Draft, unless the player is waived and not claimed by any other team.
Peachy, right? They MUST select at least 14 guys. So lets play the fantasy expansion draft game! Here's my best prediction of who would be kept by all of the current 30 teams under the assumption that each team could keep 8 players max, and must leave at least one able to be taken if they don't have that many under contract. You'll find some noteable missing players such as Chris Paul and D-Howard who are set to be free agents, as well as guys like Monta Ellis and Andre Igoudala who have ETOs or Player options. Based on the assumption that every one of them will opt out (Though it's not likely with guys like Emeka Okafor making 13.5 mill next year).
Atlanta Protectes: Harford, L. Williams, J. Jenkins, M. Scott, I. Johnson, Teague
Boston Protects: Pierce, KG, Rondo, Green, Bass, Fab Melo, Sullinger, (Lee or Terry)
Brooklyn Protects: Johnson, D-Will, Lopez, Humphries, Wallace, Reggie Evans, M. Teletovic, M. Brooks
Charlotte Protects: Sessions, Kidd-Gilchrist, B. Biyombo, Kemba, Jeff Adrien, G. Henderson, B.J. Mullins
Chicago Protects: Rose, Noah, J. Butler, Gibson, Boozer, Deng, Hamilton, Henrich
Cleveland Protects: Varejo, Irving, Thompson, Waiters, Casspi, Zeller, Ellington, C.J. Miles,
Dallas Protects: Dirk, Carter, James, Cunningham, Collison, R. Beaubois
Detroit Protects: Stucky, Villinueva, Jerebko, Monroe, Drummond, Kravtsov, Singler, B. Knight
Denver Protects: Faried, Lawson, Chandler, McGee, Gallanari, Hamilton, E. Fournier, Mosgov
Golden State Protects: Curry, Bogut, Barnes, Thompson, Lee, Festus, D. Green, S. Macahado
Houston Protects: Lin, Asik, Harden, T-Rob L, T. Jones, C. Delfino, D. Montiejunas, Parsons
Indiana Protects: Hibbert, P. George, Granger, G. Hill, Stephenson, Mahinmi, G. Green, T. Hansborough
LAC Protects: Griffin, D. Jordan, Butler, J. Crawford, Bledsoe, W. Green
[Redacted] Protects: Kobe, Pau, Nash, Blake, Hill
Memphis Protects: Z-Bo, M. Gasol, Conley, T. Prince, Pondexter, Leuer, Daye, D. Arthur
Miami Protects: LeBron, D-Wade, Bosh, Miller, Battier, Cole, Chalmers
Milwaukee: Jennings , Ilyasova, Mbah a Moute, Udoh, Sanders, John Henson,
Minnesota Protects: Pekovic , Love, Rubio, Budinger, D. Williams, Gelabale, Barea, Ridnour
Pelicans Protect: Gordon, Davis, R. Lopez, R. Andersen, A. Rivers, G. Vazquez, Roberts, J. Smith,
NYK Protect: Anthony, Chandler, Novak, Felton, I. Shumpart, Prigoni, Amar’e, Kidd
Zombie Sonics Protect: Perkins, Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, P. Jones, Collison, Seflosha, Thabeeeeeeeeet!
Orlando Protects: Nelson, Affalo, Harrington, Big Baby, Harkless, N. Vacevic, Harris, Nicholson
Philly Protects: Thad Young, J. Richardson, Turner, Jrue Holliday, Jenkins, Moultrie, Allen
Phoenix Protects: Dragic, Beasley, Gortat, Dudley, Tucker, Marshall, Markieff Morris, Scola
Portland Protects: Lillard, Aldridge, Batum, M. Leonard, Maynor, W. Matthews, V. Claver, Jeffries
Sactown Protects: Evans, Cousins, IT, Jimmer, JT, PPat, MT23, Hayes.
San Antonio Protects: Parker, Duncan, Bonner, Leonard, Green, Splitter, Neal, Joseph
Toronto Protects: Gay, Fields, Johnson, Valanciunas, T. Ross, Lowry, Acy
Utah Protects: Heyward, Favors, Kanter, Burks, Evans
Washington Protects: Wall, Nene, Beal, Seraphin, Booker, Singleton
Jason Terry (Or C. Lee)-- 2(3)yrs / 10(15)mil (Celts)
J. Crawford -- 1 year / 1 Mil (Celts)
T. Shengelia – 1 year/ 500k (Nets)
J. Taylor – 2 yrs / 1mil (Bobs)
M. Teague – 3yr / 3mil (Bulls)
Alonzo Gee 2 yrs / 7mil (Cavs)
K. English – 1 year / 500k (Pistons)
Jae Crowder – 2 yrs / 1 mil (Mavs)
K. Bazemore – 1 year / 500k (Dubs)
P. Beverly – 2 years / 500k (Rockets)
J. Anderson – 2 yrs / 1 mil (Rockets)
Greg Smith -- 1 year / 800k (Rockets)
Royce White – 3 years / 5 mil (Rockets)
M. Plumlee – 3 years / 3 mil (Pacers)
O. Johonson – 1 year / 500k (Pacers)
B. Hansborough (RFA) (Pacers)
J. Pendergraph (RFA) (Pacers)
G. Hill – 1 year / 2 mil (LAC)
C. Duhon – 1 year 3.5 mil (LAL)
T. Wroten -- 3 yrs/ 3mil (Griz)
Joel Anthony – 2 yrs 7mil (Miami)
C. Johnson – 1 year / 400k (T’Wolves)
A. Schved – 2 years / 6mil (T’Wolves)
Cunningham 1 year (Team option) / 2mil (T’Wolves)
G. Steimsna – 1 year / 2.5 mil (T’Wolves)
D. Miller – 1 year / 500k (NOLA)
L. Thomas 1 year / 800k (NOLA)
Copeland (RFA) (NYK)
J. White – 1 year / 900k (NYK)
Q. Richardson – 1 year / 2.5mil (NYK)
Camby – 2 years / 9mil (NYK)
Liggins (RFA) (OKC)
D. Orton – 2 years / 1.8mil (OKC)
R. Jackson – 2 years 2.4 mil (OKC)
Jeremy Lamb – 3 years / 6mil (OKC)
D. Jones (RFA) (Magic)
D. Lamb – 2 years / 1.2 mil (Magic)
K. O’Quinn – 2 years / 1.6 mil (Magic)
S. Hawesome – 1 year 6.5 mil (76ers)
C. Frye – 2yrs / 12mil (Suns)
S. Brown – 1 year / 3.5mil (Suns)
M. Morris – 2 years / 4 mil (Suns)
H. Haddidi – 1 year/ 1.3 mil (Suns)
J. Freeland – 2 years / 6 mil (Por)
S. Pavlovic – 2 years / 2.5mil (Por)
W. Barton – 2 years / 1mil (Por)
Salmons – 2 years / 16 mil (Sac)
Outlaw – 2 years / 6 mil (Sac)
Tony Douglas (RFA) (SAC)
James Johnson (RFA) (SAC)
N. de Colo – 2 years / 2 mil (Spurs)
Aaron Baynes – 1 year (RFA) (Spurs)
Bargnani – 2 years / 20mil (Raptors)
K. Murphy – 1 year / 500k (UT)
Vesely – 2 years / 7 mil (Wiz)
ETO / Player Option Guys:
CJ Watson (BKN)
B. Gordon (Bobs)
M. Speights (Cavs)
World Peace (LAL)
J. Jones (Heat)
R. Lewis (Heat)
R. Allen (Heat)
J.R. Smith (NYK)
H. Turkoglu (ORL)
Kwame Brown (76ers)
Patty Mills (Spurs)
So how does it shake out? Can a decent team be formed? Do you have to have the number one overall pick (Noel, McLemore) to make this work?
Sorry for the bad formatting in advance.