In a twist of ultimate "what-the-f*ckness," coaches are apparently lining up to coach King Ron-Ron and his Royal Court:
While Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said the hunt for a new coach is in its infancy stages, a list of candidates is practically compiling itself. Joe Maloof said he has received "double digit" calls from representatives of potential coaches, while his brother, Gavin, has received plenty of his own.
Double digit? DOUBLE DIGIT? There are more than 10 head coaches/head coach candidates out there trying to get this gig, coaching Ron Artest and Mike Bibby? These coaches realize this team just ran out a guy who went to the playoffs eight straight seasons, right?
A speculative list:
- John Whisenant. Blood will flow in the streets of Natomas if this actually happens.
- Terry Porter. According to Lance from BlazersEdge, the ownership bid for the Portland franchise is dead.
- Eddie Jordan. Though the Washington Post is reporting that there hasn't been any calls made to the Wizards. That doesn't stop Jordan's agent from calling, though.
- P.J. Carlesimo. This dude wants this job bad. Apparently, he's gotten past his nightmares of Spree.
- Don Nelson. Marc Stein went ahead and called the Maloofs for him.
- Stan Van Gundy. The Hedgehog knows he can contend with this roster.
- Eric Musselman. He wants a top job badly. Can't blame him.
- Jeff Bzdelik. This guy just wants a job. Period.
- Mark Iavaroni. My darkhorse, though no one has mentioned him yet. People forget that he almost got the Portland job last season before Nate McMillan broke off talks with Seattle. Mark Iavaroni should not be slept on!
I like that so many coaches have faith in our roster. I'm worried that there isn't a guy or two that the Maloofs and Petrie are actively seeking out.
Until we get a clearer picture, my preferences:
I would be ecstatic if the new head coach is...
- Mark Iavaroni
- Stan Van Gundy
- Ron Artest
- Terry Porter
- Byron Scott
- Eddie Jordan
- Roger Lodge
- Hubie Brown
- Eric Musselman
- Jeff Bzdelik
- Pretty much anyone else not mentioned elsewhere on these lists
- Don Nelson
- P.J. Carlesimo
- A college coach not named Roy Williams
- John Whisenant
- Grant Napear