Kings coach Michael Malone has said two things of interest with regards to Jimmer Fredette in recent days.
1. Jimmer will play on Thursday after a second preseason DNP-CD on Monday.
2. Malone will use his planned opening night starting five in the fifth, sixth and seventh games of the preseason.
That says to me that Jimmer, who has appeared in just one of three preseason games to date, is on the fringe of the rotation but still has a chance to make it. I might be reading that wrong, but the fact that Malone has needed to sit at least one guard each game to get everyone minutes indicates that someone is going to be left on the outside.
And, I think, that'll be someone in addition to Ray McCallum, who should make way at point guard for Greivis Vasquez and Isaiah Thomas. Jimmer needs to win minutes away from Marcus Thornton, Ben McLemore and the point guards. I don't think he's done it yet, despite a pretty good night last Thursday. McLemore and Thomas have been superb, Vasquez is the new regime's guy, and Thornton is going to get lots of minutes, and likely the starting role.
So, yeah, no pressure for Thursday.
The Kings host the Suns at 7 p.m. Pacific. No TV that I'm currently aware of, unless Phoenix is broadcasting it at home, in which case the good ol' League Pass Broadband preview will have it. Sports 1140 AM has the radio call. Lots of tickets available. Go check out Archie Goodwin!
More from Sactown Royalty:
- Ben McLemore continues to show improvement
- Minutes, ESPN player rankings, and your Sacramento Kings
- Kings vs. Clippers score: DeMarcus Cousins drops 31 on L.A.'s D-List, Sacramento wins 99-88
- Carl Landry out 3-4 months with torn hip flexor
- Kings vs. Clippers: Sacramento's preseason home opener scheduled for 7 p.m.