Today was the deadline for the Kings to decide whether or not to pick up Jimmer Fredette's 2014-15 team option. Kings General Manager Pete D'Alessandro told Cowbell Kingdom earlier this week that they would likely not come to a decision before today.
Now it appears a decision has been made:
On deadline day, I’m told the Kings have informed Jimmer Fredette of their decision not to pick up his 14-15 team option ($3.1 mil)— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) October 31, 2013
This decision means that this is the last year of Fredette's contract, after which he will become an unrestricted Free Agent.
Fredette has performed well at times but has struggled to find a place on a Kings team filled with guards. After a solid preseason, Fredette again found himself out of the rotation in yesterday's season opener, as coach Michael Malone has Marcus Thornton and rookie Ben McLemore ahead of him on the rotation. Fredette, who sees himself as a Point Guard, is also behind Greivis Vasquez and Isaiah Thomas at that position.
More from Sactown Royalty:
- Thursday Mail Sac: Defining the Kings, Opening Night straight to/from the heart
- Kings 90, Nuggets 88: DeMarcus Cousins starts off the new era with a bang
- Jimmer Fredette, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute on the outside of rotation in Kings opener
- Kings players react to the crowd energy at the opener
- Kings win! Sacramento beats Nuggets 90-88 in home opener