Ray McCallum will be making the team as the Sacramento Kings signed the No. 36 pick to a contract on Thursday. The Bee's Jason Jones reports that the deal is for three years and is guaranteed, which makes it an Isaiah Thomas special. No dollar figures have been reported (to my knowledge), but these deals are typically right around what the No. 30 pick makes, which is less than $1 million for 2013-14.
Given that the Kings traded for Greivis Vasquez and have Thomas in place, McCallum is slotted as the third point guard heading into training camp and barring any more moves. It seems as though the club expects to trade Jimmer Fredette or play him at shooting guard. (Or trade Thomas, I suppose.) It'll be interesting to see if the Kings pick up Fredette's fourth-year option in October if he's still with the team.
McCallum's shown glimpses of promise at Summer League, but really no Summer King has been very good at all.
More from Sactown Royalty:
- Why I'm not worried about Ben McLemore
- Summer League Game Thread: IT'S THE PLAYOFFS!!!
- Wednesday Mail Sac: Greg Oden, Gerald Wallace, best(???) Kings coach of the past seven years, plus career day!
- Kings seeded No. 20 of 22 teams at Summer League, will play again Wednesday
- The Sactown Royalty Show Ep. 6: Section214 on Vegas Summer League