If you like scoring, then this was the game for you! Man, both teams didn’t play much defense at all as anyone could tell by looking at the scoreline. Both teams shot over 50%, too. Bottom line, the New Orleans Pelicans couldn’t miss from anywhere, especially from deep.
First Quarter Observations:
- Great extra pass by Yogi Ferrell to find Buddy Hield for a three
- A nice fadeaway by Willie Cauley-Stein
- Buddy to WCS for the first dunk
- Marvin Bagley comes in for Nemanja Bjelica who got two early fouls and Iman Shumpert comes in early as well
- WCS called for two fouls now, too. Harry Giles comes in for him.
- BAGLEY LOB! (Your dunk gets no recognition AD.) (Well, I guess it does now.)
- Now Giles has two fouls
- Bagley spin move and the finish!
- BAGLEY STEAL AND DUNK
- BAGLEY BLOCK AND REBOUND
- Quarter ends with a bad miss by Justin Jackson, 40-32
Second Quarter Observations:
- Giles good start to the quarter but has three fouls
- Yogi corner three
- That Fox speed is brutal
- Bjelica with three fouls, Bagley returns
- Bagley scores right after
- And Bagley again! He has 14 now, which is more than his minutes last game!
- Yogi a reverse lay-up
- Bagley attempts and misses a three for his first miss of the game
- Skal Labissiere enters for the first time this season
- Buddy knocks down a three, then gets called for a foul
- Quarter ends 72-63
Third Quarter Observations
- Not many good things happened in this quarter. Sacramento’s bench lineup gave up a lot of points and struggled to make shots of their own.
- Giles had a great pass, but couldn’t buy a basket
- Bagley went up to five fouls
- 110 points allowed through three quarters
Fourth Quarter Observations
- Grant talking about pork cheeks...
- Jackson misses a three
- Frank Mason gave a nice pass to Giles for a dunk
- Giles fouls out. Fouls have been an issue through two games for him
- Bagley to Mason for a layup
- Mirotic balling
- Pelican’t miss threes (shout-out Will for the phrase)
- MIROTIC JUST STOP PLEASE
- WCS with an AND-1
- Jahlil Okafor still exists?
- Skal re-enters, later scores
- Jeez, these threes are killer
- Skal a three!
- Ben McLemore sighting and he scores a three
- That was a lot of scoring
Marvin Bagley played 32 minutes!! Much better than the 12 Bagley played on Wednesday and he earned it. Bagley scored 19 points, grabbed eight rebounds, had three assists and steals and one block on 7/10 shooting. His three misses all came from beyond the arc, so that’s something.
Willie Cauley-Stein followed up Wednesday’s performance with another good one today. Not as good as the last game, but had a solid 20 points and seven rebounds on 9/14 shooting. Two solid showings in a row for Willie.
De’Aaron Fox had 18 points, seven rebounds, six assists in 26 minutes. That’s all you need to know.
Frank Mason equaled Fox’s point and assist total with 18/6 of his own in 21 minutes (mostly in the second half). I just don’t like him thinking twice about taking open shots. TAKE THEM
Buddy Hield scored 17 points on 7/11 shooting and 3⁄4 from deep. I’d like him taking more three pointers, please.
Harry Giles is on this list because of foul trouble and missed shots. The rim did not want any part of Giles tonight. He had seven points and four rebounds on 3/11 shooting, but fouled out.
Justin Jackson, but are you surprised? Two points on 1/6 shooting in 21 minutes. Bogi come back (sing that)
Some Interesting Things
Anyone know why Nemanja Bjelica only played 10 minutes?
All of Iman Shumpert’s points came on threes.
Skal got his first minutes of the season and scored five points. Ben McLemore also came in and made a three.
Nikola Mirotic scored 36 points today, giving him a career high. Anthony Davis had 25/10/6 in 26 minutes. Jesus. Julius Randle had 13/14 off the bench. Jrue Holiday and Elfrid Payton are playing well, which is good for this New Orleans team.
Sacramento out-rebounded 60-44 and out-assisted 35-24.
Sacramento won the turnover battle 13-16, but lost out on everything else.
They got to the line 26 times and made 19 of them, which is better.
The Game in One Sentence
MIROTIC FOR THREE.
The road trip continues against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday at 4:00 PM PST.