The Sacramento Kings are 8-6 and they just defeated the San Antonio Spurs. The Kings were up for the majority of the game thanks to great performances from De’Aaron Fox, Bogdan Bogdanovic and Harry Giles. However, you can’t have a Kings win with feeling some sort of anxiousness when random players decide to make shots for the first time in the game.
After the Spurs tied it 90-90 in the fourth, the Kings went on a 10-0 run to what looked like the ball game. But, Davis Bertans made two consecutive threes to scare Kings fans. However, Bogi and Fox were here to be our heroes and made clutch shots to finally close out the Spurs.
First Quarter Observations
- Turnovers to start
- De’Aaron Fox with the first basket
- Fox for three!
- Willie with a new look, gets the bounce(s)
- Spurs 6 - Kings 9, nice
- Willie transition dunk
- Buddy heat check! He has 10 already, but missed the lay-up #KANGZ
- Bagley and Bogi come in
- Bagley needs to use his right hand like Willie does with his left
- Harry Giles is in
- Giles get his first basket off his own miss
- 25-24 end of 1, Kings lead
Second Quarter Observations
- Bogi three!
- Spurs making their threes, too
- Giles scores the midrange jumper
- Frank Mason with the stutter step lay-up
- See the first bullet
- Giles again!
- GILES AND BOGI CONNECT
- Mason :o
- MASON AND BAGLEY CONNECT
- FOX THREE
- Who the heck is this Dante Cunningham? (sarcasm)
- Spurs re-take the lead
- Buddy missed both free throws. He didn’t score in the 2nd Q
- Kings lead 56-55 at HT
Third Quarter Observations
- Bjelica three!
- See above
- Bjelica puts his own miss back in
- Bagley missing often so far
- There you go Bagley! Stays with it for the and-1
- Bogi to Bagley again!
- 77-76 end of 3, Kings lead still
Fourth Quarter Observations
- Bogi with the stepback
- Spurs take the 80-79 lead
- Bogi three! What a difference he’s making off the bench
- Giles steal
- Finally we get Fox, Buddy and Bogi at once with Giles and Bagley
- Bogi to Fox to Giles. The future!
- Five fouls on Giles now, but he’s been impressive
- Fox never gets those calls
- Fox three off the Shumpert steal!
- Bjelica THREEE
- FOX TO WILLIE WHAT A LOB
- VLADE SMILED WHAT IS GOING ON
- SCREW YOU PATTY BY RUINING OUR FUN. WHAT KIND OF NAME IS PATTY MILLS ANYWAYS
- Freaking Grant jinxing it
- Bogdan freaking Bogdanovic
- WE CAN NEVER ENJOY WINS WITHOUT WEIRDOS COMING OUT OF NOWHERE
- Fox. Ball game
- 104-96 should be the score, but it’s 104-99.
- The Kings are 8-6 after beating the Spurs
Bogdan Bogdanovic off the bench was phenomenal to say the least. With 22 points and three assists on 9-17 shooting in 24 minutes, the Kings don’t win this game without him. He did have the worst +/- on the team but ignore that because Justin Jackson had a +1 and he didn’t do diddly squat. We have yet to see the best of Bogi, but his lobs to Bagley and Giles were so promising.
One trip to Stockton and Harry Giles is looking much better. (That’s my city!) Giles had 12 points and six rebounds in 16 minutes, but those lingering foul problems kept him from playing a few more minutes. His shots were falling and he capped off a beautiful sequence between him, Bogi and Fox with a two-handed dunk. He needs to come back into the rotation, regardless of Kosta Koufos’s status.
De’Aaron Fox had 19 points on 7-9 shooting. Nine shots, 19 points. What a player, and I didn’t even talk about his 7 assists, two steals, three rebounds and one block. He’s the point guard we deserve.
Nemanja Bjelica didn’t have a single point in the first half, but scored 11 big points including three threes in the fourth. His last three was the biggest and the deepest shot as well. He also had six rebounds.
Buddy Hield had 10 points in the first, but finished with 14 on 5-13 shooting. It’s a confusing little shooting slump for Buddy these past few games.
Marvin Bagley didn’t play particularly well, forcing some shots and coming up short on most. He finished with seven points and six rebounds in 21 minutes.
Willie Money Watch
Willie scored 13 points on 6-14 shooting and grabbed 13 rebounds. He too forced a lot of shots but had that fantastic lob finish in the fourth.
The Kings were 50% from the field and 46% from three. The free throws could improve (7-12).
The Kings out-rebounded the Spurs 45-43 and out-assisted them 27-25.
The Kings had TWELVE steals.
20 fouls is not ideal, however.
The Game in One Sentence
That Fox, Bogi, Buddy, Giles and Bagley lineup (drools)
The Kings go on the road to face the Memphis Grizzlies this Friday at 5:00 PM PST. Try not to be in your feels, okay?